ComedySportz is L.A.’s longest running show for good reason – it’s fun, friendly and skillful. Our acclaimed company brings this same approach to our classes with a focus on skill-building and fun.
Why Study with ComedySportz?
For Everyone – You don’t need to be an actor to benefit from our classes. We provide:
- A safe, fun environment where participants are encouraged to take chances and stretch their abilities. At CSz, all are welcome.
- Skills for all areas of life: public speaking, improved confidence, teamwork, problem-solving, communication, and conflict resolution
- Skills for writing, interviews, negotiations, parties, and dates
- Free admission for students to any of our shows (space permitting)
- Fun from start to finish!
For Actors – We are the premier shortform company in Los Angeles. That makes us the place to study if you want to train in:
- Making big choices immediately
- Committing to them absolutely
- Improving your commercial audition technique
- Honing a wide variety of skillsets: Musical and rap improv, guessing games, dialects, character creation, spacework, and many, many more
- We also do some amazing longform improv shows, and occasionally offer classes in narrative longform as well
Adult improv classes are for those 17 and above. You can find out more about our programs for kids and teens by clicking the appropriate link under the Education heading.
Our Core Curriculum
101 – Improv Toolbox. 6 weeks.
Learn the fun behind CSz-style improv in a relaxed and supportive environment. In this six-week class we focus on trusting yourself, story telling and structure, developing an improv vocabulary and ensemble-building. Meets once a week for 2 1/2 hours per session.
Price: $250 ($225 if purchased 1 week in advance)
102 – One-Night Intensive. 3 hours.
Don’t have time to take a multi-session class? Take one of our Toolbox Intensives for a quick-bite improv experience. In three hours, we “cram” the basics of CSz improv fundamentals! These intensives can also serve as placement workshops for students with experience from another improv company.
201 – Characters and Relationships. 4 weeks.
Learn how to create characters and relationships to fuel your comedy and stories. Prerequisite: 101 or approval from Education Program Director. Meets once a week for 2 1/2 hours per session.
Price: $225, $200 with Early Purchase
301 – Spacework and Physical Storytelling. 4 weeks.
This level will encourage you to relate to your improv environment, make physical choices and use your body as a tool for story telling. Prerequisite: 101 or approval from Education Program Director. Meets once a week for 2 1/2 hours per session.
Price: $225 ($200 if purchased 1 week in advance)
401 – Performance and Games. 8 weeks.
Learn advanced narrative and short-form improv games in the style of ComedySportz. This level will build to a final performance for friends and family. Prerequisite: Levels 101-301 or approval from Education Program Director. Meets once a week for 2 1/2 hours per session.
Price: $300 ($275 if purchased 1 week in advance)
The Rec League
Graduates of our core curriculum may be eligible for invitation into the CSzLA Rec League. The Rec League is just like a bowling or kickball league in that it’s played for fun. Teams of student improvisers play ComedySportz on our mainstage in four seasons throughout the year. After shows, they’re provided with notes from the Rec Director, as well as a variety of workshops. Rec League is an ongoing performance lab.
Each year we offer intensives in everything from genres (Shakespeare, horror, etc.) to scenework to characters to musical improv. Participants in these classes should be experienced improvisers, with no less than 3 years’ experience, or completion of the required CSz prerequisite class.